The name of the community comes from the nearby Portland Hill. The hill was named so by Captain James Cook for its resemblance to Portland Bill on the Dorset coast of England. The first settlers of the community were believed to be Alain Offery of Brittany and Frank L'Abbe and his wife Bettiah House. The first census was taken in 1857 and showed a population of 27. After 1900 new settlers came to the area for the lobster fishery. During this time, Angus Wentzell came to the area to set up a lobster factory. Most residents relied on the fishery for their income and supplemented it with some farming and woods work.
Portland Creek, NF | (709) 898-2490
The resort offers all modern convenience in comfortable two-bedroom housekeeping cottages. They include fully-equipped kitchen and...View Details